Saturday, December 4, 2010

Anything they can make, I can make for less.

My mom has been known to go into a store, see something she likes and then go home and re-create it. Sometimes she has a picture. Sometimes a video. And sometimes she has just examined the details and has it all stored up in her head. I think I'm becoming like my mom...

In the December issue of Better Homes and Gardens I saw these adorable decorative balls made by wrapping yarn around a styrofoam ball. I decided I needed to try making my own.
Especially after I found the ornament at JoAnn's for $7.99!
I knew I could make it for less than that!
I started with a couple different sizes of 
smoothfoam balls from Hobby Lobby. 
I used two different type of thickness of white yarn. One with a thin silver tread woven through it. 
The layers don't need to be very thick, just cover most of the ball. 
I decided not to use them as ornaments or on a wreath but as a decorative accessory on my mantle. I'm loving the look!
Here's a close up of the two different types of yarn I used.
I hope this inspires you to get creative and try some of the things you see as you're out doing your Christmas shopping. Happy crafting!

2 comments:

  1. 1. Adorable
    2. You're TOTALLY becoming your mom....but that's not all bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute & easy project! How do they get away with charging 7 bucks! Yours look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Simple Spring Wreath

If you've got 7 minutes and a couple bucks, you too can make this Simple Spring Wreath! You'll just need a couple supplies fr...