Friday, February 15, 2013

Chalk Paint Kitchen Table

Welcome to my kitchen and the home of my new chalk painted table!
For my latest DIY project I decided it was time for this tired old table to get a face lift!
 I had been reading all about Chalk Paint
(not chalk board paint but chalk paint! Made with real clay and chalk!) 
After doing my research on making your own chalk paint and Annie Sloan's chalk paint... 
I decided to go with Cece Caldwell's Chalk Paint (found only a select retailers).
I chose Dover White and Vermont Slate (black).
 The best part about this paint (and this project in general) is that there is no priming or sanding!
 Just paint it on! I painted the whole table white
(I didn't even come close to using the small quart of white I bought) and then just the top black
(just a small tester did the trick-this paint can be watered down a bit!)
I painted the black right on top of the white,
because I had planned to "distress" some of the black off and I wanted the white to peek through.
 After following the chalk paints instructions (basically paint it on and let it dry. Oh, and it dries fast!) 
I love this product!
In the picture above Left: the chalk paint before the wax and
Right: after a coat of the wax. The wax deepens and intensifies the color. 
And because this is my kitchen table, we definitely needed to protect it from the everyday use.
 Here is another look at the colors, wax on the left. No wax on the right.
 After reading about many kinds of wax (and I'm sure Annie Sloan and Cece Caldwell's wax is the best...) but after shelling out the cash for the paint (were talking $32+ for a small quart of chalk paint!)
and reviewing waxes I decided that the Minwax Paste was going to be the best thing for this project Minwax Paste is thick and durable.
 I simply applied the wax with a clean cloth and let it set for about 10 minutes before buffing it out. Because the wax is so thick, you can see some variations in the color, but I like the look.
And again, durability is what I was going for here!
 Before adding the wax I did a little distressing with some fine grit sand paper. 
I did this on the edges of the legs, table top and each individual table leaf.
I love the look of the table with our black chair and my fairly recent reupholstered parsons chairs.
 It's been about 2 weeks and the table is standing up well to the homework, family dinners and just about everything else a family of five does to their kitchen table!
 I thought a table runner was in order and I had some left over yellow zig-zag fabric!
I'm so happy with the chalk paint I can't wait to go hunting for some other furniture that needs a facelift!

30 comments:

  1. I am so excited to try chalk paint! The reason I have a beautiful dresser in my garage for oh...three years now??? Is because I HATE sanding! Hate it! I just read another redo using AS chalk paint. And I need to paint my kitchen table. I want to do it right now lol! Yours looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really am in love with my table again (I was about to haul it to the curb). Have fun with the chalk paint. I'd love to see what you've done when it's complete!

      Delete
  2. Love it and I love your chevron table runner too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Chevron table runner is so fun for the winter!

      Delete
  3. That turned out great! I love the contrast of the white legs & black top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really glad that I did the white and black too!

      Delete
  4. Turned out fabulous!!!
    Love painted furniture so much and you aced this!
    Great job
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I'm thinking of painting my kitchen table and wondered if chalk paint would work. Thanks for sharing. Here from Tatertots and jello.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you'll love the chalk paint. It dries So fast! Send me a picture after you've painted yours. Good luck!

      Delete
  6. I find it interesting how light it was after painting the slate on top before the wax. I'd be scared looking at it like that when I wanted a black distressed table. This is fantastic, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually liked the slate gray look, but I knew it would never stand up all the wear and tear of my family so I really needed the wax. It's a great product by the way. I'm going to start using it on more things that I paint!

      Delete
  7. Ooo, it looks fantastic!! And I love that table runner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the table runner too. I think I forgot to mention that I made it double sided. Yellow Chevron on one side and Grey on the other!

      Delete
  8. Well done!! Love the look of the chalk paint! This just might be the kick in the butt that I need to do something similar with an old cabinet from my grandparents that needs a bit of love! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Amanda, here is your encouragement! Get painting! And I want to see a blog post about it when you're done!

      Delete
  9. I have a question! I just painted my chairs and haven't waxed them yet. I was thinking about getting a darker wax, does your post wax version look like the paint sample on the can or darker? This tidbit of info is integral to my decision making lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond. The wax makes it look darker, but I highly recommend it. You don't want the chalk finish on a table or chairs that are going to get used a lot. I think the paint would start to chip off.

      Delete
  10. Will the was hold up to cleaning with soapy water with a little pinesol in the water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soapy water will probably be okay. But I wouldn't get it *too* wet. They recommend rewaxing every 3-6 months.

      Delete
  11. Great turned out,Thanks for all of the great tips.Princess Car Beds

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to paint my table too and am going back and Roth on wax vs. poly for the finish. Are you getting any water stains? And, how Ou you clean it. I have two little piggies ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My table is definitely getting *worn.* Its where homework, meals and everything happens. But I knew that was going to happen. We are getting some water marks and some distressing, but I don't mind (and it's still better, in my opinion, then what I had before!) I have not ever heard of using poly over chalk paint. And I chose the Minwax version because it is thicker and said to withstand a lot more wear then the wax that is sold with chalk paint. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  13. I used a poly over chalk paint on my daughter's dresser and it is holding up well. My hair dresser did the same for the tables in their salon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is EXACTLY what I want to do with my kitchen table! Thank you so much for sharing, I will be using this as my step by step how to!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The value we offer is unmatched, providing highly attractive price points without sacrificing quality of materials, labor and individualized service.

    When Choosing a Solar Contractor, it is always an advantage for them to be local, reliable, articulate and friendly. Use American products only. Solar Earth is all of the above, located in the beautiful Santa Ynez Valley. All the Modules installed are manufactured in America and backed by a twenty-five year guarantee.
    http://solarearthinc.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love the arts/design of your website. I am so thrilled I found your website, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something I found another one Sneha arts like you, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a tremendous post blog and check these Art talk, also look like your website on arts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rollers like brushes come in different styles. Basically, rollers have different types of nap. Each roller is designed for a certain type of wall (smooth, rough) and paint (stain, latex). Read the package to get the correct one for your needs. Paint Brush Supplier

    ReplyDelete

Simple Spring Wreath

If you've got 7 minutes and a couple bucks, you too can make this Simple Spring Wreath! You'll just need a couple supplies fr...